Martin D'Arcy SJ
Martin D’Arcy was born in Bath in 1888. Educated at Stonyhurst, he became a Jesuit in 1906. He joined Pope’s Hall in Oxford (which later became Campion Hall) in 1912 and enjoyed considerable academic success . He taught at Jesuit schools before returning to Oxford, becoming Master in 1933. During this period Campion Hall was built on the current Brewer St site. D’Arcy, unimpressed by the original plans, persuaded Sir Edmund Lutyens to design a building more worthy of the Jesuit presence in a great university. D’Arcy built up a fine collection of works of sacred art (known as objets D’Arcy) for the Hall. From 1936 to the end of his life he lectured extensively in the USA on the subject of Christian Humanism, including a tour during the War at the request of the British Government. From 1945-50 he was English Provincial, and in 1946 attended the General Congregation which elected Fr Janssens as Fr General. D’Arcy’s own name had been mentioned as a possible candidate. He wrote at least 24 books of which The Mind and the Heart of Love was most influential. He died in 1976.