Jan Graffius

Jan Graffius with delegates and the Stonyhurst collection
Stonyhurst College has for centuries been a repository for curious and precious items relating to the history of Catholicism in Britain. Curator of the Stonyhurst Collections, Jan Graffius, gave a guided tour to the delegates at the province conference held at the college last week.  She explained that over the centuries the Jesuits had collected, been given and bequeathed an extraordinary array of items now housed in a suite of rooms, some originally designated for display purposes,...
An evening with Julian Filochowski, Chair of the Romero Trust and who knew Romero, and Jan Graffius, Stonyhurst College curator, who has visited El Salvador several times to conserve Romero’s artefacts. They will talk about Romero and his legacy.Entry by DonationThis talk is part of a series of events planned in preparation for the consecration of Lauriston’s Romero Shrine on the 24th March.
Jan Graffius with the film crew on the banks of the Hodder
If you live in the Northwest region of England, be sure to tune in to BBC1 at 7.30pm on Monday 10th December to watch River Walks: The Hodder This new series follows the watercourses of the area and explores their myths and not-so-known snippets of history.  In this first episode broadcaster Stuart Maconie follows the flow of the River Hodder in the Forest of Bowland.The river runs close to Stonyhurst College, which features in the programme. The filming took place few weeks ago and...
Manuscript of Taffy the Welsh Mouse
Having celebrated St David’s Day earlier this week, it seems appropriate that this week’s Object from the Stonyhurst College collection focuses on Wales.  ‘The Mouse Trap’ is a poem written in English and Latin by John Formby, when he was a student at St. Omers in 1729, aged 17. Such poems were written by pupils to be performed on suitable occasions, and it is very likely that The Mouse Trap was declaimed by John Formby on St David’s Day in 1729.It is believed that John Formby is in fact...
Pope Francis accepts the Romero Homilies from Julian Filochowski. Osservatore Romano
As the Catholic Church around the world celebrates the centenary of the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero – and many continue to anticipate his canonisation – Pope Francis has been presented with six volumes of the English translation of the Salvadorian Archbishop’s homilies.The presentation was made by Jesuit Missions Consultant and Chair of the Archbishop Romero Trust, Julian Filochowski OBE, at the end of the Ash Wednesday General Audience on 1 March in St Peter's Square. "I presented a bag with...
Warriors, Sketch of Augustus Law SJ c1880
There is a small sketchbook in the Stonyhurst College collections, with a number of curious and moving drawings and paintings by a Jesuit priest who is popularly known as the Martyr of the Zambezi.Augustus Law was converted to Catholicism when serving as a junior officer in the Navy. He joined the Jesuits in 1854, and twenty-one years later set sail for South Africa, feeling a strong call to be a missionary. He founded St Aidan’s College for boys in Grahamstown and learnt the Zulu language...
St Omers Customs Book
This week’s object may seem less exciting that some previous examples, consisting as it does of a 20th century typescript of a lost 17th century document, but it is of critical importance in the shaping of the College’s mission early in its history, and has had a lasting, profound effect on the development of the College ethos since 1601.In 1617, the second Rector of St Omers College, Fr Giles Schondonch, became aware that his end was near and he was keen to pass on his hard-won...
Manuscript LXV c1475-1525
Among Stonyhurst’s medieval manuscripts are some of the most significant and famous books in the College’s collection: a rare copy of Froissart’s Chronicle of the Hundred Years’ War with France, an illuminated book of hours once belonging to Henry VIII’s mother, Elizabeth of York, and an early manuscript copy of Chaucer, among many other pieces. However, this week’s object, whilst not particularly famous, is certainly one of the most beautiful in the...
St Omers Lamb Chasuble Mid-17th century, restored 1827
We begin a series of blog posts from Stonyhurst College.  Each week we highlight a different object from their extensive collection of relics and artefacts which represent the oldest museum in the English speaking world.  Since 1609 thousands of ancient, precious and sacred objects have been entrusted to the Jesuits and the College, reflecting its unique role as a sanctuary for world culture spanning millennia.This object for this week has been chosen to celebrate the Feast Day of St...
St Edmund Campion SJ (1540-1581)
Since 1886, Campion Day (1 December) has had special significance for Stonyhurst College in Lancashire.  It was in that year that Edmund Campion SJ was beatified, and since then, his feast has been kept with solemnity and joy, up to the present day. This year, the College marked 130 years since the beatification and the 455th anniversary of Campion's martyrdom with an all-day retreat.Two items from the College and Jesuit Collections featured as part of the retreat. The small silver...

Pages