Winckley Square

Friends of Winckley Square Guided Walk. Photo credit: Paul Rushton
The Catholic Chapel of St Wilfrid’s in Preston was once the largest in England. After works began in 1792, it was subsequently enlarged. It stands just north of Winckley Square, a Georgian square in the heart of Preston city centre. The large houses around the Square were built as homes by wealthy lawyers.The Jesuits of St Wilfrid’s were eager to have a presbytery close to the church. The aim was to purchase one of the homes that overlook the Square. In 1877 a plan to buy one was thwarted when...