Blandyke Papers

As May draws to a close, so too does a month of special devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. With Spring and the promise of new life well under way, the Archives turn once again to the wonderful Blandyke Papers. These wholly manuscript volumes, spanning 1888 to 1923, were largely a place for future priests to reflect on history, literature, liturgy, philosophy and science. But they were also an outlet for literary and creative and artistic development, and perhaps none display these skills...
It was the custom that each year the Philosophers and Theologians went for two weeks on holiday to Barmouth, otherwise known as Barmouth Villa.  The original villa house was called Aber House and still stands in the centre of Barmouth.  In 1879 Aber House was sold and Fronoleu Terrace, a larger and more suitable house was rented outside of Barmouth in Llanaber.  In the 1930s the house was bought from the owners. The house is now known as “The Jesuits” or “The Jesuit House”...
Black and white photograph of a Zepplin in front of a hanger with people milling about underneath
One hundred years ago today the first Zeppelin raid on Britain took place on the evening of 19th January 1915.A young Jesuit scholastic who had been studying in Germany until 1914, was concerned about the Zeppelin menace and provided drawings and warnings in an article in the Blandyke Papers.   Thomas Egan SJ (1889-1915) was a member of the Irish province.  After the outbreak of war and his return from Germany, he resumed his philosophy studies at Stonyhurst.  His...
Christmas Day in beautiful red calligraphy with a little gold star
  The 1914 Christmas edition of the Blandyke Papers in our Jesuits in Britain Archives are full of inspiring images and reflections for the Christmas season.  Click on the images to enlarge them.             Origin of the Blandyke PapersThe first issue of the Blandyke Papers was published on 8th January 1889 at St Mary’s Hall, Stonyhurst, Lancashire. The Hall was built as a Jesuit seminary in 1828 and...

Pages